First Pavlov State Medical University of St. Petersburg
The Pavlov First Saint Petersburg State Medical University was founded in September 14 (26) 1897 as the Medical Institute for Women. It was the first institution both in Russia and Europe that provided an opportunity for women to acquire higher medical education.
Soon after its foundation, the Women’s Medical Institute (WMI) became a reputable institution and represented a recognized model for higher medical education and medical science. Clinics and departments of the WMI developed and implemented the most advanced methods of diagnostics and treatment.
Our University has changed a few names since the time of its foundation: the Women’s Medical Institute of St. Petersburg (1918), The First Medical Institute of Leningrad, also known as ‘the 1st Med’ (1924). This name went down in history of St. Petersburg and Russian medicine. In 1936 the First Medical Institute was named in honor of the Nobel Prize winner Academician I. P. Pavlov. In 1994 the First Medical Institute was reorganized into a medical university and got the name Pavlov Saint Petersburg State Medical University. In 2013, the word ‘first’ was returned to official name of University.
In the 1930s the Institute of Chemistry and Pharmacy as well as the Institute of Pediatrics were detached from the First Medical Institute and established as independent units. In the meantime construction of new units and laboratory buildings were already in the design phase but the Second World War bothered to fulfill that plan.
During heroic wartime defense of Leningrad the Institute did not stop providing patient care, education and research; many of its graduates went to war. We revere the memory of our graduates killed in battle. In 1987 a monument in honor of the fallen doctors was erected in the Institute Park, in the very same place where an unexploded bomb had been found.
The 1960–1980’s were marked by a large-scale construction of new academic buildings, dormitories, research laboratories, thus, ‘the 1st Med’ gained its present day appearance.
In the 1990s, a number of departments evolved into Research Institutes.
Today the University continues improving patient care, medical education and science.
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Sports Medicine
- Faculty of Adapted physical educationCulture
- Faculty of Pediatrics
- Faculty of Clinical Psychology
- Faculty for International student
- Faculty of Graduate Education in Nursing
- Institute of Nursing
- Faculty of Postgraduate education
- Faculty of Pre University Course
site : http://en.1spbgmu.ru/history/